While we are living in the time of social distancing, many people are turning to a sport as old as time: fishing.
Fishing was already a popular sport before the pandemic hit.
According to the Recreational Boating & Fishing Foundation, more than 49 million people fished recreationally in 2017. Now that number is set to increase with more people turning to the water due to the rise of quarantine orders, social distance guidelines, and the closing of entertainment activities.
Not only will fishing get you out of the house for a few hours, it also provides several benefits. According to Health Fitness Revolution, fishing:
- Helps with full body strength. Catching and reeling in a fish helps work the shoulders, bac, arms, core, and legs;
- Promotes family bonding because older generations will often teach the younger generations how to fish;
- Helps boost the immune system because the body will be in the sunlight getting much needed vitamin D;
- Improves relaxation because spending long hours in nature working on a task is like meditation;
- Improves Cardiovascular health. Fishing can burn up to 200 calories an hour and if you are walking around looking for different fishing spots, it will help cardio;
- Teaches self-reliance;
- Helps with patience;
- Encourages travel; and
- Improves balance.
There is also no need to worry about rivers and lakes closing because of Covid-19. Many waterways around the country remain open all year round.
So now you’ve seen the benefits fishing can provide and you’ve decided to give it a try. What type of gear will you need for a fun, relaxing day on the water?
Below is a list of basic items you will need along with helpful links to find the products mentioned. We chose gear specific to beginners for this list.
- A rod and reel such as the one below;
Bass Pro Shops Quick Draw Rod and Reel Spinning Combo - 6'6"
- Fishing line;
Sunline Assassin FC Fluorocarbon Fishing Line
Mustad Worm Hook
- Needle-nose pliers;
Rapala Stainless Steel Pliers - 6-1/2"
- ¼ ounce weights or sinkers;
Bass Pro Shops Bass Casting Sinker - 1/4 oz
Premier Plastics Round Bobbers
- Bucket with ice in case you want to keep what you catch;
Quarrow Collapsible Fishing Bucket
- Fishing scale. We recommend our ConnectScale 3 which is a Bluetooth enabled scale.
- Bait: Worms or Minnows
- Lures: We recommend our Fishing Bait Club Crankbaits or Soft Plastic Paddle Tails
- A fishing license.
Once you have all the gear, the next step is to pick the perfect fishing spot. Check out this article about how to find the perfect fishing spot.